My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Under Saddle - Pro training

After the first time I got bucked off I decided that he needed a professional to ride him and get him quiet so I employed a Canadian trainer named Rick Bates to ride him and train him for me.

Rick taught him to tie for extended periods and have patience he taught him how to go out on the trail relaxed and easy. He no longer flinches when you saddle him and he takes the bridle very softly. He still won't stand well for fly spray and to be honest, I've learned that the fight is just not worth it because when Shazaam is quiet he's quiet but if you engage in a fight he will escalate things and there is just no winning- besides it's too important to me to preserve his dignity. I've seen people compromise the horses' dignity over the past year and in my very humble opinion, it's never necessary.

For training materials, I've studied Parelli level 1 & 2 as well as Clinton Anderson Starting Colts Under Saddle DVDs.

Shazaam and I are working on Parelli Level 2 ground work and that works well for him.

I will be using Chris Cox DVDs on collection and headset to teach him to be vertically soft. I truly feel that Mr. Cox does the best job at teaching this exercise.

I read a GREAT book titled "Ride the Right Horse" by Yvonne Barteau. It is about understanding horse personalities.

I will be buying Dennis Reis program before the end of this year and also Parelli's Understanding Horsenalities DVDs. I find the whole study of equine psychology fascinating.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Rising Rainbow said...

Understanding horse psychology is definitely a big part of having a happy horse and rider team in my book.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home